Thursday, October 10, 2019

Applemoyse

Today, I made homemade applesauce for the first time. Afterwards, I then attempted making Applemoyse for the first time.



I also made a video of me making the Applemoyse. Please check it out Here.

Ingredients needed:
Apples
Water
3/4 cup Sugar
3 Egg yolks
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ginger

For the applemoyse, I used Daniel Myers' recipe which can be found here. The original recipe appeared in A Proper New Booke of Cookery, which was published in 1575 by William How.


As this was my first time making homemade applesauce or applemoyse, I learned a few lessons the hard way. My first lesson learned was that 4 medium Gala apples only make approximately 2 cups of applesauce, whereas the recipe calls for 3 cups. So, I had to do some quick math to modify how much of the other ingredients were needed to cover only 2 cups of applesauce. My second lesson learned involved the egg yolk. I have never had to separate the egg yolk and the egg white before. I was so proud of myself at accomplishing this on the first try that I accidentally put the egg white into the applesauce instead of the egg yolk. I also learned that an apple should be peeled before it's cored and sliced.

Overall, this is a delicious applesauce with hints of cinnamon and ginger. It can be served warm or cold. I tried it both ways and liked it both ways. However, for dinner this evening, I have decided to put it in the fridge and serve it cold to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment