Thursday, October 17, 2019

Honey Butter

Today's experiment was making honey butter for the first time. I have enjoyed honey butter at numerous feasts over the years, but never actually made it myself.

The recipe is quite simple: butter and honey. The trick, I found, was finding the correct ratio of honey to butter. According to one mundane website, there should be three times as much butter as there is honey (here's the website). According to another website, there should be twice as much honey as there is butter (here's the website).

I started out with following the recipe for the second website. I had 3/4 cup butter, and so I had 1 1/2 cup of honey. However, after the butter softened and I added the honey, it quickly began to look like honey with a hint of butter. So, I stopped pouring the honey at 1 1/4 cup. After mixing it together and doing a taste test, I decided to add another 1/4 cup of butter to give the mixture more of a one on one ratio.

The butter is now cooling in the fridge. Here's a video to see how I made the honey butter.



I tried to research the history of honey butter, but unfortunately I did not find much. Per one website, there are references to honey butter in the book called Tastes of Anglo-Saxon England by Mary Savelli. Another website provided the 13th century Spanish recipe for a nutty honey butter sauce here.

No comments:

Post a Comment